- Is the thermostat on the hot water heater set below 120º F (49º C)?
- Are razor blades, nail scissors, and other sharp tools stored in a locked cabinet?
- Are childproof latches installed on all drawers and cabinets?
- Do the outlets have grounded fault circuit interrupters (which protect against electrocution if an electrical appliance gets wet)? (If you live in an older home that may not be "up to code," have an electrician inspect your circuit breaker panel.)
- Are toilets always left closed? Is there a toilet-lid lock on the toilet?
- Are all hair dryers, curling irons, and electric razors unplugged when not in use?
- Are there nonskid strips on the bottoms of bathtubs?
- Are there nonslip pads under rugs to hold them securely to the floor?
- Are all prescription and nonprescription medications, cosmetics, and cleaners stored in a locked cabinet? Are childproof caps on all medications?
- Are bottles of mouthwash, perfumes, hair dyes, hair sprays, nail polishes, and nail polish removers stored in a locked cabinet?
Garage & Laundry Area
- Are all tools and supplies used for gardening, automotive, and lawn care stored safely away from children?
- Are all hazardous automotive, pool, and gardening products in a locked area?
- Are recycling containers storing glass and metal out of reach? Are garbage cans covered?
- Are all bleaches, detergents, and any other cleaning products out of reach?
- Are laundry chutes locked with childproof locks?
Reviewed by: Kate M. Cronan, MD
Date reviewed: December 2009