At the Aflac Cancer and Blood Disorders Center, we understand you want to be certain your child is receiving the best possible treatment available anywhere in the country. Second opinions can help provide the information you need to make an informed decision about the treatment for your child.
Benefits of a second opinion
Second opinions can provide reassurance to your family by confirming the treatment plan suggested by your child’s doctor. They can also, at times, give you alternative treatment options.
Why the Aflac Cancer Center?
If you are interested in getting a second opinion for your child, we believe it is important to seek a doctor who is specially trained in caring for children and who has expertise in treating the specific type of cancer or blood disorder in which your child has been diagnosed.
As a national leader in pediatric cancer and blood disorders, the Aflac Cancer Center:
- Is one of the largest pediatric cancer and blood disorders centers in the country—caring for 370 newly diagnosed cancer patients each year and more than 1,700 children and young adults with sickle cell disease.
- Has dedicated physicians who are highly skilled and experienced in treating children and young adults with all forms of cancer and blood disorders—from the most common to those rarely seen outside of the top pediatric centers.
- Is a recognized leader in transplanting children with sickle cell disease—we have cured more than 40 children of this otherwise lifelong condition.
- Is one of only a handful of programs in the country offering therapeutic MIBG to patients with neuroblastoma.
- Has one of the largest pediatric brain tumor programs in the country, following more than 700 children and young adults with brain tumors each year.
- Follows more than 1,000 childhood cancer survivors through our Survivorship Program.
Our second opinion services
- On-site/in-person meeting
Families are welcome to schedule an appointment at the Aflac Cancer Center to meet with our medical experts in-person.
- Remote second opinion
We recognize not all families have the time and/or resources to travel for second opinions. With a remote second opinion, you can speak directly to one of our physician experts on the phone.
- Physician-to-physician consultation
Your child’s doctor may speak with one of our physicians on the phone.
Provide a few details and someone from the Aflac Cancer Center will respond regarding a second opinion.