The Asthma Center's Home Depot Pulmonary Function Testing (PFT) lab houses advanced diagnostic tools to measure lung capacity and function, including:
Spirometry testing—evaluates lung function, specifically the measurement of the volume of air that can be inhaled and exhaled and restriction to air flow.
Pulmonary plethysmography—measures total lung capacity and assesses for hyperinflation or restriction in lung volumes.
Methacholine challenge testing—diagnoses airway hyperreactivity using a bronchial challenge test.
Diffusion capacity—measures ability of lungs to absorb oxygen.
Other comprehensive services offered at the Asthma Center include:
- Allergy testing and immunology evaluation
- Web-based health risk assessment information system
- Specialized physician, pediatric nurse practitioner and respiratory therapist care as well as social work
- Customized care planning
- Communication to primary care physicians for optimal asthma management
- Access to an after-hours, on-call asthma physician
- Inpatient consults
- Education for patient families and school staff
- Coordination with asthma-related wellness initiatives at Children’s