Kids are not just tiny adults. Our staff is trained in pediatrics, and the equipment we use is made especially for children. Children's is different than adult facilities in so many ways, including all of the exciting programming and services we offer geared towards even our smallest patients and their families.
We provide support for patients and their caregivers and siblings. Our child life specialists provide a variety of services including:
- Educating your child about illness, treatment and surgery, in addition to preparing siblings for the hospital visit.
- Supporting your child during stressful experiences and procedures.
- Encouraging your child to express feelings about illness and treatment through therapeutic activities.
- Normalizing the environment through age-appropriate play and group activities.
- Helping your child with pain management through distraction and relaxation.
- Providing support for siblings and other family members, especially in times of grief and death.
Child life specialists promote coping and normalization with opportunities for patients to play and interact in our activity centers. All three Children’s locations feature activity centers supplied with toys, games and crafts for all ages.
Patients and families at our Scottish Rite location can also visit The Zone and our Strong4Life Teaching Garden. Our Egleston location features THE VOICE at Seacrest Studios where patients and families can learn about radio broadcasting and sometimes meet special guest visitors.