Referrals are accepted through our BMT clinical nurse coordinator at 404-785-1608.
Aflac Cancer Center at Egleston hospital
1405 Clifton Road NE, Fourth Floor
Atlanta, GA 30322
The first appointment (BMT consult) is usually initiated from the patient’s primary physician or subspecialist. The initial consultation may include the BMT physician, nurse practitioner, nurse coordinator, and possibly the social worker.
During this appointment, members of the pediatric blood and marrow transplant (BMT) team will address the following:
- Why a pediatric blood and marrow transplant (BMT) may be needed and how it may help
- Treatment options
- The specific treatment plan recommended
- Common experience, potential risks and side-effects of a pediatric blood and marrow transplant (BMT)
- Timing to expect for pre-BMT preparation, the BMT itself, and recovery period
- Specific issues for the patient and his disease
- Emotional and financial issues related to the pediatric blood and marrow transplant (BMT) treatment and recovery