The Heart Failure Prevention and Treatment Program provides comprehensive care to patients in all stages of heart failure, from prevention to advanced disease.
Our heart failure specialists play a key role in coordinating advanced heart failure therapies, including heart transplant and ventricular assist device technologies. These specialists are part of a larger team at Children’s that can provide and manage the most advanced therapies available. The program has additional expertise in the diagnosis and management of dilated and restrictive cardiomyopathies. A genetic counselor can assist patients in identifying the underlying cause of heart failure and guide screening of other family members.
The multi-disciplinary team includes:
- William Mahle, M.D.
Medical Director, Heart Transplant Program
- Shriprasad Deshpande, M.B.B.S, M.S.
Medical Director, Mechanical Circulatory Support Program
- Kelci LaPorte, N.P., Program Manager
- Jami Steinmetz, N.P.
- Mallory Carroll, N.P., VAD Coordinator
- Katie Berkowitz, N.P.
- Molly Dugan, Clinical Social Worker
- Laura Mee, Ph.D., Psychologist
- Susan Boekel, R.D., C.S.P., L.D., Nutritionist
- Rochelle Schmidt, PharmD.
Call 404-785-6395 for referrals or additional information about the Heart Failure Prevention and Treatment program.