The Child Life Department at Children’s offers a two-day training seminar for students in child life academic programs. This seminar was established in 1994 to provide an opportunity to hear first hand from child life specialists and participate in learning opportunities through role-playing, interactive discussion and hands-on exploration. The seminar topics include:
- Utilizing medical play and preparation
- Transitioning from student to professional
- Therapeutic interventions
- Non-pharmacological pain management
- Case presentations
- Area-specific breakout sessions
- Identify different resources utilized by a child life specialist when working with patients who may be experiencing pain, anger, loss, separation and/or fear
- Become familiar with different types of resources used in medical play and procedural preparation
- Learn how different developmental levels view death and how child life specialists help children cope with dying as well as support siblings and caregivers during this time
- Receive resources and ideas on how to plan and prepare for the child life internship and child life profession
- Develop knowledge through challenging, problem-solving patient care issues by discussing case presentations with experienced child life staff
- Learn about tools and resources child life specialists in different specialized areas use for their specific population
- Identify different methods of non-pharmacological pain management utilized by child life specialists
When: Saturday, October 8 and Sunday, October 9
Where: Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta
1680 Tullie Circle, Classroom 5
Atlanta, GA 30329
Space is limited for this event. Please fill out the registration form.
For more information, contact:
Jamie Hooper, CCLS
Child Life Coordinator
Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta
The seminar is held at the Children's Learning Services Building, which is equipped with facilities to handle seminars, conferences and presentations. We will provide lunch and snacks.
Guests may now begin to make their reservations, by calling central reservations at 800-264-0729. To receive the discounted rate, attendees must request the Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta Beyond the Classroom at the Courtyard Executive Park/Emory for October 7, 2016-October 9, 2016 Guests may also reserve online using the link provided below.
Book your group rate here.
Children's Healthcare of Atlanta
1680 Tullie Circle NE
Atlanta, GA 30329