Each year, Friends aligns its fundraising and service goals with the mission of Children's. Proceeds from each Friends fundraising year benefit programs and equipment to meet the basic, but very critical, needs of our community's children.
Friends has named Sibley Heart Center as part of its Funding Goals for 2012-2013. Thanks to Friends members and the community, we are able to offer patients the specialized equipment and programs they need, including:
• The Berlin Heart—an implanted device to keep a child alive until a heart transplant can be performed
• Vivid Echo Machine—a high-powered ultrasound allowing doctors to see a 3D image of the patient’s heart
• Neurodevelopment services—multidisciplinary programs to allow children with heart disease to achieve success in school
• Pediatric cardiac research—funding has created a biological pacemaker which would grow in a child and reduce the need for multiple surgeries and other medical devices designed especially for kids
Friends also sponsors:
• The Friends Research Fund—promotes clinical research in areas such as cancer, cardiology and critical care.
• Big Apple Circus Clown Care Unit—provides hours of entertainment to patients and families through the healing power of humor during their clown rounds, solely funded by Friends members.
• Aflac Cancer Center—offers holiday cards benefiting the family support team at the Aflac Cancer and Blood Disorders Center.
• Hughes Spalding librarian
• School nutrition program