Liver disease is any condition that damages the liver and prevents it from functioning well. It can be caused by an infection, abnormalities with the immune system, cancer or growths.
Symptoms of liver disease in children can vary but may include swelling, bruising, changes in stool or urine color, itching, jaundice, or yellowing of the skin or tissue.
A pediatric hepatologist is the specialist who treats liver conditions in children. At Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta, our dedicated hepatologists combine the latest technology and research with a caring, child-friendly approach, making us a top choice for children with liver disease.
Our board-certified, pediatric-trained hepatologists care for children from birth to age 21 and work together to provide integrated, multispecialty care for kids with common and complex medical conditions.
What do we treat?
At Children’s, we treat a wide range of liver conditions, including:
- Acute liver failure
- Alagille syndrome
- Autoimmune hepatitis
- Biliary tract disease (biliary atresia)
- Chronic viral hepatitis
- Cystic fibrosis-associated liver disease
- Elevated liver enzymes (ALT and AST)
- Liver transplant evaluation and management
- Liver tumors
- Neonatal cholestasis and other childhood liver diseases
- Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease
- Portal hypertension
- Primary sclerosing cholangitis
- Progressive familial intrahepatic cholestasis (PFIC)
- Prolonged neonatal jaundice
- Rare metabolic diseases
- Wilson’s disease
We are developing better treatment
In conjunction with Emory University School of Medicine, our team is committed to excellence and innovation in pediatric hepatology research. Our team is devoted to developing better treatments and diagnostic services for children with liver disease.liver-disease-research
Our team of pediatric-trained hepatologists evaluates, diagnoses and treats children with liver disease. Through Children’s Physician Group, our hepatology practice offers convenient outpatient clinics throughout metro Atlanta.
Our team also participates in the following programs and clinics:
- NAFLD Clinic: This clinic is dedicated to treating children with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD), the most common liver disease in children.
- Liver Transplant Program: One of the largest pediatric liver transplant programs in the U.S., we have wait times and patient survival rates that are better than the national average.
- Liver Tumor Program: One of the only programs in the Southeast with a coordinated, integrated team of pediatric oncologists, transplant surgeons, general surgeons, radiologists and pathologists.
- Strong4Life Clinic: A multifaceted program for obese and overweight kids and their families.
- John-Paul Berauer, MD, Director, Intestinal Rehabilitation
- A. Jay Freeman, MD, MSc, Director, Advanced Pancreatic Care Program; Director of Digestive Health, Cystic Fibrosis Program
- Nitika A. Gupta, MD, Director, Adolescent Transplant Program
- Saul J. Karpen, MD, PhD, Division Chief, Raymond F. Schinazi Distinguished Biomedical Chair
- Chrissy Lopez, MD
- Dellys M. Soler Rodriguez, MD, Program Director, Transplant Hepatology
- Rene Romero Jr., MD, Joseph H. Moss Chair, Pediatric Hepatology and Liver Transplant; Medical Director, Liver Transplant Program; Clinical Director, Pediatric Hepatology
- Miriam Vos, MD, MS
Advanced practice providers
- Lauren Mullen, CPNP, Intestinal Rehabilitation
- Sheetal Sethi, DNP, Liver Transplant
- Christine Rambo-Martin, CPNP, Liver Transplant
- Gloria Chiang, PhD
- Jennifer Buechner, RND
- Caitlin Flatley MS, RD, LD
- Jillian Mingle, RND
- Gabriela Young, RND
Intestinal rehabilitation and pre- and post-liver transplant clinics are held at the Emory Children’s Center Building. General hepatology clinics are at the Center for Advanced Pediatrics, in addition to our other neighborhood locations. Surgical procedures are performed at Children's Egleston Hospital.
Children's at Satellite Boulevard
2660 Satellite Blvd.
Duluth, GA 30096-5803
Center for Advanced Pediatrics
1400 Tullie Road NE
Atlanta, GA 30329
Emory Children’s Center Building
2015 Uppergate Drive
Atlanta, GA 30322