The condition most commonly affects young athletes who play sports like basketball (referred to as jumper's knee), football, volleyball, soccer, tennis, figure skating and gymnastics.
- Pain at the front of the knee, near the bottom of the kneecap (this is the main symptom)
- Swelling and tenderness around the kneecap
- Pain that increases with exercise or activities like running, climbing stairs or jumping
- Pain that becomes more severe when kneeling or squatting
- A swollen or bony bump at the bottom of the kneecap