How Can I Volunteer at Children's?
With guidance from the Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta staff, adult volunteers work a set weekly schedule in one of the following hospital areas:
- Administrative support
- Customer service
- Direct patient care
We select a limited number of applicants each month to interview for available placements. Volunteers are chosen by matching your interests and availability with our most urgent needs. Although we are continually assessing the needs for adult volunteers at Children’s, we may not be able to match your interests and availability with our current opportunities. All applications for placement are reviewed for up to three months.
Current volunteer needs
- View our open positions at Egleston.
- View our open positions at Scottish Rite.
- For open positions at Hughes Spalding, contact Charice Holt.
How Do I Apply to Volunteer at Children's?
- You must meet the following requirements to volunteer at Children’s as an adult:
- Be at least 18 years old and not currently enrolled in college.
- Agree to a scheduled, weekly three-hour shift for a minimum of one year.
- Interview with a volunteer coordinator.
- Pass a criminal background check (final acceptance pending results).
- Provide proof of immunity to measles, mumps and rubella (MMR); chickenpox; and tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis (Tdap).
- Provide proof of COVID-19 Vaccination.
- Be willing to receive an annual tuberculosis (TB) screening (via blood test).
- Be willing to receive an annual flu vaccination.
- Adhere to Children’s policies and procedures.
- Review the available volunteer placements within our opportunity directories. (see current needs posted above)
- Review the volunteer manual.
- Complete the volunteer assessment that unlocks the volunteer application upon receiving a minimum score of 80 percent.
- Complete the volunteer application. List which open placements from the opportunity directory you are interested in applying for in the “comments” section of your application. List which open placements from the opportunity directory you are interested in on your application.
Thank you for your interest in volunteering at Children’s. Your completed application will go directly into our volunteer database. If you are selected for an open position, a volunteer coordinator will contact you for an interview. We hold each application for review for three months and make every effort to place each applicant in a volunteer position.
What Are Other Ways to Get Involved?
Join Our Family Advisory Council
We know that the parents of our patients can bring unique insights to the care we provide. Children’s is tapping into this resource with its Family Advisory Council (FAC), a collaborative venture with parents that gives them a formal opportunity to help us enhance our caregiving efforts.
Made up of parents of Children's patients—both past and present—as well as staff members from various divisions of our hospital, FAC provides us with an invaluable patient-family perspective on our care.
FAC has a clearly defined purpose, centered on enhancing children’s lives and promoting relationship-based care that:
- Helps improve relationships between patients, families and staff.
- Creates a welcome forum for family input.
- Gives families the opportunity to review recommendations referred to the council by hospital staff.
- Offers families the chance to have input in program and policy development.
Provides an outlet to channel information and the needs and concerns of patients and families to hospital departments.
The council meets regularly to help guide Children’s on a variety of topics—from hospital parking and patient billing to hospital services, procedures and amenities. FAC members serve for at least two years, attend bimonthly daytime meetings and carry out requests as needed.
Lend your support to our community’s children at one of our fundraising events.
Interested in volunteering outside of the hospital? Fundraising events are held throughout the year to benefit Children’s. Join us at an event by applying to volunteer today.JOIN US