Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta is home to the leading pediatric pulmonology program in Georgia. Our pediatric-trained providers are skilled at diagnosing and treating children and teens with a wide range of respiratory problems, from common to complex. Some of the conditions we treat, include:
- Bronchopulmonary dysplasia and chronic lung disease
- Chest pain
- Chronic cough
- Chronic respiratory failure and ventilator dependence
- Congenital abnormalities of the respiratory tract
- Interstitial lung disease
- Persistent cough
- Pulmonary hypertension
- Recurrent and persistent wheezing
- Respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) bronchiolitis
- Shortness of breath at rest or with exercise
- Stridor and noisy breathing
At Children’s, we offer comprehensive tests, services and therapies to children and teens who have pulmonary disorders.
- Exercise challenge
- Inhalant medicine and respiratory therapy review
- Lung volume testing
- Plethysmography test
- i-STAT testing
- Influenza injections
- Methacholine challenge
- NIOX testing
- Nutritional consultations
- Stress test
- Synagis injections
Synagis for RSV
Synagis is a medicine that is given monthly through injection to children who are at high risk for developing respiratory syncytial virus (RSV), which is very contagious and can cause symptoms similar to the common cold. Children with certain conditions are sometimes at risk for a more severe RSV infection that can cause their airways to become inflamed or filled with mucus, making it hard to breathe. These children may require hospitalization.
Children at risk for a severe RSV infection include:
- Children under age 2 who were born before 29 weeks in utero
- Children with lung disease, heart defects, diseases of the muscles or abnormalities of the airway
What parents need to know about RSV
As a new parent, you may know to keep an eye on things like diaper rash and colic. But there’s a lesser-discussed topic many new parents don’t learn about until they are thrust into its scary throes: respiratory syncytial virus, or RSV.Read more
At Children’s, we embrace collaboration among our pediatric specialists. Through this collaboration, we offer many multidisciplinary programs and clinics in which our pulmonologists participate. In fact, we offer some of the most specialized programs in the Southeast.
- Aerodigestive Clinic: Our team is dedicated to finding the right answers and treatments for children with complex aerodigestive disorders.
- Diaphragm Pacing Program: Our team provides the diaphragm pacing system for children with congenital central hypoventilation syndrome (CCHS). This unique treatment helps improve a child’s breathing, possibly eliminating the need for a ventilator part time or full time.
- High-Risk Asthma Program: This program offers a multidisciplinary, holistic approach to the care of children who have severe asthma. The program aims to ensure asthma control and improve quality of life for these children.
- Muscular Dystrophy Clinic: This clinic provides comprehensive diagnostic and treatment services for children with neuromuscular disorders.
- Primary Ciliary Dyskinesia (PDC) Clinic: Children’s is one of only a few hospitals in the Southeast with the pediatric expertise and tools to diagnose and treat children with PCD.
- Pulmonary Hypertension Clinic: Our team offers children comprehensive evaluation and management of pulmonary hypertension. Services include assessments, long-term treatment and follow-up care.
- Sickle Cell Disease Clinic: Our multidisciplinary team offers 24-hour acute care, health maintenance services, new patient evaluations, patient counseling and education, newborn screening, chronic transfusion services, and transcranial doppler ultrasound testing for stroke prevention.
- Technology-Dependent Clinic: This clinic manages children who have a variety of disorders that require some form of respiratory support. We treat a range of conditions, including chronic respiratory failure.
The following pulmonologists and advanced practice providers see patients at the Center for Advanced Pediatrics in Atlanta. Call 404-785-KIDS (5437) to make an appointment with one of these providers.
- Kimberly Dickinson, MD
- Nicholas Fitzpatrick, MD
- Devon Green, MD, MPH
- Lokesh Guglani, MD
- Carolyn Henderson, MD
- Ajay Kasi, MD
- Benjamin Kopp, MD
- Rachel Linnemann, MD
- Eric Price, MD
- Amit Shah, MD
- Samar Shah, MD
- Sheel Shah, MD
- Dawn M. Simon, MD
- Snehal Vala, MD
- Sharon Golubic, CPNP
- Caroline Ivie, PA-C
- Kun Hui Yi, CPNP
Scottish Rite-based providers
The following pulmonologists and advanced practice providers see patients at Children’s at Mount Vernon Highway in Atlanta, Alpharetta, Kennesaw and Athens. Call 404-785-0588 to make an appointment with one of these providers.
- Ann-Marie Brooks, MD, FAAP
- Rafael Cilloniz-Guerrerro, MD
- Allan Dias, MD
- Matthew Hazen, MD
- Sophia Kim, MD
- Kevin Kirchner, MD
- LaTresa Lang, MD
- Burt Lesnick, MD, FAAP
- Jonathan Popler, MD
- Julia Sedor, MD
- Haitham Shahrour, MD
- Sealling Arounnarath, CPNP
- Tatiana Asnani, CPNP
- Adriana Hall, CPNP
- Elizabeth "Janey" Lackey, NP
- Elizabeth Liu, PA-C
- Michelle McKinnon, NP
- Tracy Paterson, PA-C
- Erin R. Powers, CPNP
- Haley Reynolds, PA-C
- Tracy N. Thomas, PA-C
- Brian Wingrove, PA-C
We offer outpatient clinics in locations across metro Atlanta and in surrounding communities.
Center for Advanced Pediatrics
1400 Tullie Road NE
Atlanta, GA 30329
Children's at Mount Vernon Highway
859 Mount Vernon Highway NE, Suite 300
Atlanta, GA 30328
Children's at Hamilton Creek
2240 Hamilton Creek Parkway, Suite 600
Dacula, GA 30019
Children's at Old Milton Parkway
3300 Old Milton Parkway, Suite 300
Alpharetta, GA 30005
Town Center Outpatient Care Center
605 Big Shanty Road NW
Kennesaw, GA 30144
Hughes Spalding Hospital
35 Jesse Hill Jr. Drive SE
Atlanta, GA 30303