MYchart, an online tool to help you securely access medical records, contains much of this medical information. If your child needs to see a healthcare provider at a facility other than Children’s, you can share your MYchart information with your provider, or the provider can request medical records from us. You can also request a copy of your child’s medical record.
Call us at 404-785-2431 with any questions about obtaining medical records.
What is MYchart?
MYchart is our online tool to help you access your child’s medical records and securely communicate with participating healthcare teams. For assistance with MYchart, call 404-785-7844.LEARN ABOUT MYCHART
If you prefer to have your child’s medical records mailed to you, or if you would like to arrange to pick them up, you will need to follow these three steps:
- Complete an authorization form.
Before your child’s medical records can be released, you must complete, date and sign a release of information authorization form that is compliant with the Health Information Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA).
Hard copies of the form are also available at any Children’s facility. Note: If you have a medical release form from your doctor’s office or agency, it may not be acceptable. Any noncompliant forms will be returned to the requester.
Patients 18 or older must request their information personally (a parent cannot request for the child) unless they are mentally or physically unable to sign. We require documentation for this situation.
If your child was referred to Children’s for a lab or radiology test, records will be sent automatically to any ordering or referring physician, and you do not need to fill out an authorization for release.
Records needed for continuing care
Any healthcare provider can request your child’s medical records from Children’s directly to provide continuing care for your child. An authorization is not required for the release of our medical records to another healthcare provider.
- Send for the records.
Mailing your request
After you complete the medical release form, mail it to our medical records department at the following address:
Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta
Health Information Services
Release of Information Department
1575 Northeast Expressway NE
Atlanta, GA 30329
Faxing your request
Patients and healthcare providers may fax the authorization to the release of information department using the fax number included on the form. All other requesters should mail their request to the address noted on the form.
- Pay for and receive your medical records. After we have processed your request, we’ll mail you an invoice based on the number of pages being released and how you’ve requested records be delivered to you (see below for fee schedule). Depending on the length and complexity of the records, it may take up to 30 days to receive a copy of your child’s medical records. If you need records sooner or have other questions, call the release of information department at 404-785-2431 for more help.
You can have the records mailed to you or arrange to pick them up. Indicate your preference on the medical release form, and we’ll either call you to make an appointment for pickup or mail them to the address you provide on the form.
We are not able to fax or email records at this time.
Parents often ask why they have to pay for their child’s information. The fee for releasing your child’s health records covers the costs of labor, time and resources. The state of Georgia regulates how much an organization may charge per page. Children’s complies with state and federal regulations related to release of medical record information.
Fee schedule for patient- and parent-requested medical records
- Electronic records delivered in electronic format: $6.50
- Paper or paper and electronic records delivered in electronic format: $6.50 plus $0.07 per-page labor cost to convert the paper portion of the record to the electronic format
- Electronic records delivered as a paper record: $0.90 labor cost to create and produce the paper version of the electronic record plus $0.05 per page for paper and toner
- Paper records delivered in paper: $0.12 per-page labor, paper and toner fee
- Taxes and postage costs: added as and when applicable
- Records sent directly to another healthcare provider for continuity of care: no fee
Learn more about your legal rights pertaining to your child’s medical records.LEARN MORE
Our medical records department can only complete requests for paper reports. Films and tapes from radiology, echo and EEG are released by their respective departments. You can contact these departments by calling the hospital main line.
More About MYchart
Making your life easier
At Children’s, we understand managing your child’s healthcare can be a difficult and confusing task. We think this process should be simple. Learn more about how MYchart can help you.