How Do I Plan a Patient Activity at Children’s?
When you plan a patient activity at Children's Healthcare of Atlanta, you give our patients a fun diversion from everyday hospital life. We welcome the warmth and enthusiasm that your group of three to five volunteers can bring to our hospitals. Your group could host a special performance or put together a one-hour themed event with interactive activities that families and patients can do together. All volunteers must be at least 18 years of age and high school graduates.
Support a Patient Activity
Due to Covid-19, we currently are unable to host groups that plan a patient activity inside the hospital. In the meantime, we welcome your donations to help us host Bingo, run art programming, host special giveaways and more:
- Donate brand new toys
- Assemble craft kits
- Donate new art supplies
How it works
- Decide which hospital you want to serve: Egleston Hospital, Hughes Spalding Hospital or Scottish Rite Hospital.
- Choose some possible dates that work for your group.
- Decide what kind of activity you want to plan (see ideas below).
- Contact a volunteer coordinator for your desired location (listed below) six to eight weeks before your event. The volunteer coordinator will discuss our event guidelines, schedule a date and help you finalize the details.
Choose a theme for your event, and plan three or four activities that go with that theme. Activities should be age appropriate and interactive. Remember that we serve patients from birth through 21 years of age, so be mindful that older patients may attend. Plan the event to last one hour. Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Lego building
- Photo booth
- Karaoke contest
- Arts and crafts
Your group could host a special performance, such as a:
- Play, puppet show or other theater performance
- Professional dance performance
- Celebrity and athlete appearance
- Mascot meet and greet