The VolunTEEN Program is for high school students ages 15 to 18, who are looking for a rewarding way to spend a portion of their summer. VolunTEENs will spend their days bringing smiles and laughter to the halls of the hospital, while also gaining knowledge of the healthcare world. From the front desks to patient units, VolunTEENs will support Children’s staff, play games, and most importantly, leave a lasting impression on our patients and families.
The program spans eight weeks during June and July. Interested teens must be able to commit to volunteering at least one day a week for three hours, missing no more than two days of the summer commitment.
2024 Program Update:
The VolunTEEN program will be operating at a limited capacity in 2024 as we prepare for the opening of Children’s newest location, Arthur M. Blank Hospital. VolunTEENs who successfully completed the 2023 program will be invited to fill our limited openings. New applications will not be accepted at this time.
We appreciate your understanding and patience as we prepare for this exciting move, and we look forward to growing our program in the new hospital in the years to come.
Who to contact for more information about our VolunTEEN Program:
The Explorer Program is an educational program for currently enrolled high school students interested in the exciting world of healthcare careers. This is an educational program—there is no patient interaction. For high school students interested in direct volunteer work, see the VolunTEEN program.
Potential opportunities include:
- Talking with doctors, physician assistants, physical therapists and medical specialists about their experiences in healthcare.
- Exploring career opportunities in child life, the Children’s Foundation, rehabilitation and many other unique fields to find what interests you.
- Learning about what topics you are interested in and the journey it takes to pursue the career you want.
- Meeting other students interested in medical fields.
What dates is the Explorer Program held?
2023-2024 Program Dates:
- September 12, 2023
- October 10, 2023
- November 14, 2023
- January 16, 2024
- February 13, 2024
- March 12, 2024
Registration for the 2023-2024 program is closed. Please note that registering for this program will grant the participant access to all six sessions.
Where is the Explorer Program held?
All sessions will be held virtually through the WebEx platform.
Who can I contact for more information?
For more information about the Explorer Program, please contact Lindy Carder.
Children’s welcomes and appreciates support from our scouting community. Whether it’s donating to one of our three hospitals or participating in one of our existing programs, Scouts have the opportunity to learn more about Children’s and make a difference in the lives of others. See below for ways your troop can get involved.
- For individual service projects (e.g., Gold/Silver/Bronze Awards and Eagle Scout Projects): Reach out to GraceAnne Dukes for information about project coordination and approval.
- For troop projects and opportunities: Reach out to GraceAnne Dukes for information about project coordination and approval.
- For individual opportunities: You may participate in one of our existing programs, such as Young Friends.
We know that our patients and their families can bring unique insights to the care we provide. Children’s is tapping into this resource with its Youth Advisory Council (YAC), a collaborative venture with patients, their siblings and children of Children's employees that gives them a formal opportunity to help us enhance our caregiving efforts.