Power Up With Power Snacks
When it comes to working long days in the hospital, clinic or operating room, it’s important to make smart snack choices between meals to help you stay strong, focused and ready for whatever work throws your way during a shift.
Everyone needs the right fuel to keep going all day—or all night. Nutritionists recommend eating every three to four hours to help fight fatigue and boost energy. Meals and snacks should include a protein, carbohydrates and fat to optimize energy levels.
To keep energy levels high, grab one of these power snacks in between meals:
- Nuts and a piece of whole fruit
- Greek yogurt with berries
- Cheese stick with whole grain crackers and grapes
- Trail mix with dried fruits, nuts and dark chocolate
- Banana and a cup of milk
- Hummus or bean dip and carrot sticks
- Half a sandwich, such as peanut butter or turkey